Operation RoundUp awards $14,000 in support of community endeavors
The Roanoke Electric Co-op’s Care Trust Board has allocated $13,950 in grants to support seven community initiatives -- funding made possible through Operation RoundUp.
The co-op’s longstanding charitable community service program supports organizations that serve the health, safety, educational or recreational needs of citizens in the co-op’s service area. Member-owners who volunteer to participate in the program "round up" their monthly electric bill to the next whole dollar. The money raised is donated to charitable causes.
At its recent quarterly meeting, the co-op board designated funding to the following local organizations:
- Creative Horizons’ Inc. (Roanoke Rapids): Awarded $2,500 to purchase necessities for their Winter Back to School giveaway, including school supplies, socks, school uniforms, food and haircuts.
- Bertie High School Athletic Department (Windsor): Awarded $1,500 to help fund the purchase of strength-training machines for all their student athletes
- Purple Angel Foundation, Inc. (Seaboard): Awarded $1,600 to purchase food, clothing, a refrigerator and a community garden for Northampton County residents.
- Relay for Life of Bertie County (Aulander): Awarded $1,500 to fund the Relay for Life of Bertie County fundraising event that will benefit the fight against cancer.
- Ronald McDonald House of Eastern NC at Greenville, Inc. (Greenville): Awarded $3,650 in support of a program that enables family members to reside for free while loved ones are in the hospital for extended stays.
- Town of Aulander Recreation Department: (Aulander) Awarded $2,000 to modify its gymnasium to make it more handicap accessible.
“Each of these programs will have a positive impact on our communities, as a result of Operation RoundUp,” said Marshall Cherry, the co-op’s chief operating officer. “Because of our membership, the co-op is able to invest in the communities where member-owners and employees live and work.”
For more information about how to participate in Operation RoundUp, please call 252-209-2236 or visit www.roanokeelectric.com/roundup.Top of Form