Efficiency tips for fall savings
With autumn set to begin next Monday, Sept. 23, Roanoke Electric encourages you to take note of theses efficiency tips to help you save money and energy throughout the season:
- Examine seals on doors and windows to check for air leaks.
- Caulk and add weather strips as needed to seal in warm air and energy savings.
- Examine outlets for air leaks, and where necessary, install gaskets around the outlet to prevent drafts.
- During the day, open curtains or drapes on south-facing windows to enable sunlight to heat your home naturally.
- Close curtains or drapes at night for an added layer of window insulation.
- Use a programmable thermostat to set the temperature as low as is comfortable when you are home (ideally around 68 degrees).
- Turn the temperature down 10-15 degrees for eight hours, when you are asleep or away. According to the Department of Energy, this small adjustment can help you save approximately 10 percent a year on heating costs.