Many of our member-owners are interested in renewable energy, and so are we. It’s our job to make sure you have reliable, affordable power to take you through your day. Nuclear power and natural gas are important, dependable sources of electricity that we rely on to provide power to you, but we think solar power can be responsibly incorporated as an energy source. That’s why we’re bringing a community-shared solar farm to our community to benefit cooperative member-owners.
How does it work?
Roanoke EC’s member-owners purchase the energy output from solar panels for a one-time investment or a partial upfront payment with remaining investment financed over a period of time. We’ll build it and cover all insurance and maintenance costs. The solar energy produced by the panels will be credited to you on your monthly electric bill.
The cooperative spirit!
Our community solar project was created in the same spirit that drove the creation of Roanoke EC. More than 75 years ago, electricity was out of reach for residents in our community. A group of people joined together to create our electric cooperative and power our lives. Today, solar energy is out of reach for a lot of people. Among other barriers, it can be expensive to set up and maintain. So we thought – just as our founders did decades ago – let’s do something about this.
Advantages of Community Solar:
- Low cost, one-time fee
- No hassling with maintenance (we’ll take care of that!)
- Our site is well suited for a solar installation, so you can be sure you’re getting the most out of the sun’s potential. Site suitability is often an issue with residential installations.
- Perfect for renters who want to be involved with renewable energy
- No red tape with zoning restrictions or home owners’ associations
- Solar energy will be credited right to your electric bill. Sign up today and we will keep you posted.
Contact our office by calling 252.209.2236 for more information.
You can also review our agreement that will need to be completed before the purchase.